The Metal Element is stillness of Yin to let go, to grieve. In the midst of lockdown there has been much grief and loss, this can be from the death of a loved one, your loss of independence, loss of work, income, identity, family and companionship. The stillness of lockdown may have suited those who relate to a quite space, appreciating what is precious, though there are many people who have found this a struggle being cut off from the world, family and friends. Metal is the acceptance of the rhythms of breath of birth life, death, endings of cycles, the comings and goings of life.
The touch responses of the skin and the interior sense receptors are related to the Metal Element, a part of life that is missing with social distancing, this has affected many people losing the closeness of personal touch. COVID-19 has attacked Metal as the Lungs are Yin the inner organ of Metal, and not allowing the body to let go with the Colon the Yang organ of Metal, causing devastating illness.
Lockdown stopped Yang expanding in Springtime, stagnating our Qi and natural rhythms, which may have caused the emotion of Metal – Grief to be exacerbated. Before you read on please check out the Five Element Personalities page on my website, and you will have an understanding when reading the rest of this blog and how it relates to you! (link here)
The Element Metal and its Spirit Po can manifest in many ways:
- Animal Wit
- Sensation & Appreciation
- Intuitive knowing
- Emotional blocks
- Refusing to look at our darker feelings or the “shadow side”
- A break in the relationship of the body and mind
- Deep resistance to a change in life
- Repetitive patterns that one feels impossible to alter
- Restricting physical pain that has no identifiable cause
- Psychosomatic symptoms
- A gnawing, but vague sense that something is not right
Signs that can come from stagnation and imbalance in the Metal Element can be:
- Shallow breathing and sense of constriction in the chest
- Chest conditions
- Chronic tension and pain
- Emotional tension manifesting in digestive disturbances
- Impaired balance and coordination
- Stress related skin problems
- Not feeling comfortable with being touched
- Deep depression and obsessions
- Not able to let go or grieve
If you recognise any of these feelings and signs your Metal Element, may be out of balance activities that can help can be:
- Pranayama (meditative breathing exercises)
- Psycho/somatic work around your relationship to your body image
- Tai Chi
- Chi Gong
- Walking meditation
- Incorporating ritual and routine into your life
- Giving more attention to what is precious in your life
- Letting go of what you no longer need
- Loving appreciation for your own unique self and the gift of a body
With the Five Element system every individual has a Gaudian Element or Causative Factor as you have read about on personality page on the website. The Five Elements of Fire, Earth, Metal, Water, Wood. Each element has a connection to natures time of year, your Spirit, emotions and much more. This affects how a person may have responded to lockdown. We all have every element within us so you may relate to each element, though one will resonate more with you.
Southwell Acupuncture Clinic is now open to patients, PPE and disinfecting procedures between patients as Lockdown eases. (see blog…) So please get in touch and arrange to come for acupuncture treatment to help you become balanced and well as we find our way back into normality.
Contact Hannah on: https://www.southwellacupuncture.co.uk/contact/
Thank you for inspiration for this Blog from Anastacia White.
ps – More about Water, (to follow) Wood (19th June) Fire (25th June ) Earth (3rd July) looking at the emotions: Joy, Anger, Worry, Grief and Fear.